Sunday, November 6, 2011

Review - H. P. Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror #1



H.P. Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror #1 by IDW. Written by Joe K. Lansdale. Drawn by Peter Bergting. Back Story - The Hound. Written by Robert Weinberg. Drawn by Menton3. $3.99

The comic itself is broken into two separate stories that would have been nice if it was advertised on the cover because the actual Dunwich Horror part stops before it even gets to the middle. The second story is six pages long and is written with just whole page artwork behind the written part. The rest, is an ad for another comic and bullshit. Personally I hate when comic companies do this. If I'm paying $3.99 for a comic, I want a the comic (plus some ads, we can't get away from them no matter how much we would like to), to take up the whole fucking comic, not just less than half of it.

The actual Dunwich story took me like three minutes to read. The artwork I did like, it being a painted type style, but I would not call this a "good" read because I have read more in a bathroom stall than I got to read in this story. The Hound does the exact opposite and is one of those "We don't want to have to draw all this so we will just write it out," type of comics. Granted the artwork is very moody and shows good visuals, but if I wanted to read a book, well guess what, I wouldn't be buying a bloody comic now would I.

I know this is the first issue and one can hope it will be better as the title comes out, but the way this comic was put together and the lack of content makes me not want to pick it up to find out. If you are a H.P. Lovecraft fan you might want to stick it out to see if it gets any better, but for the casual comic horror reader, you might want to save your four bucks on this one.






No comments:

Post a Comment