Sunday, November 6, 2011

Review - American Vampire #19



American Vampire #19 by Vertigo/DC Comics. Written by Scott Snyder. Drawn by Jordi Bernet. $2.99

This is part one of a new "filler" storyline called The Beast in the Cave, that covers some of Skinner's past before he was a vampire. And right off the bat, I have to say I do not like the artist.

I see where they are going with choosing this artist to do this "filler" story, but it is a major difference, like water to wine, from Rafael Albuquerque's style. They are trying to make this look like an old western comic, since it is in the past, but its such a change I thought they misprinted the cover on the wrong comic.

The story is interesting, it talks about Jim Book and his relationship with Skinner and begins to show you that Skinner was a bad egg from the beginning. So for the over-all history of the characters, it is a good read.

But like I said, I feel like I'm reading a comic from the 70's and the art just doesn't fit. It is too bright and colorful not dark and moody like it should be and it takes away from the creepiness and character of the whole comic. I am glad this is just a filler storyline and the regular artist will come back after it is done, because if this is the new regular artist, this title will be cancelled inside a year.






No comments:

Post a Comment